Monday, November 20, 2017

Breath

Breath
By I.M. Ulysses

She's gone now
Captured by death
This woman whom
Heard my first breath

A shrivelled flower
A worn out shirt
Her body could not
Take any more hurt

The day the call came
I knew what it meant
The sunrise of day
Was her life's sunset

Eighty and six
Were the years that God gave 
And when they were over
He took mom away

I'm sad but not bitter
That this should be so
And though it was sudden
I knew she must go

Some think me heroic
For standing so tall
In the shadow of death
When others would fall

But I'm no hero
And my heart is well burdened
Because I could not
Prevent what was certain

The moment she went
To that nursing home
I knew right then
She would not return

Apart from her family
And all of her friends
Surrounded by nurses
She'd meet her life's end

That wasn't the way
I hoped it would be
When her hour came
On November 15

It was set in motion
By deeds done before
When a little child
From his home was torn

After twenty-nine years
That child made it right
Bringing her back
After a long fight

But I was too late
Her mind was not well
So I had to confine her
To where the weak dwell 

Slowly but surely
Time took its toll
Forgetting my name
When I last saw her whole

And now she is gone
Rejoined with my father
Together again
Where there's joy and laughter

Away from this world
Her work is now done
While mine's not over
As I rise with the sun

Another day dawns
And with it new life
As I continue my journey
Along with my wife

She kisses my face
And thinks I'm quite brave
Standing my ground
After death held sway

I wish I could tell her
How weak I am feeling
That though I am standing
Inside I'm still reeling

But my spirit's strong
And I sense God's power
Pushing me onward
From this darkest hour

So I will go on
And live day to day
Praising my God
Who shows me the way

For Christ has the power
With Him there's no death
And though mom gave me birth
The Lord gave me breath

For my mom, Angeliki Eleftheriadis
April 12, 1931 - November 15, 2017
Thanks for everything. RIP































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home